The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better Author: Jonathan Bailor | Language: English | ISBN:
B00DB3A27E | Format: PDF
The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better Description
In this revolutionary weight-loss program informed by more than 1,200 scientific studies, fitness and diet expert Jonathan Bailor offers concrete evidence that the calorie-counting model of weight loss doesn’t work. In fact, cutting-edge science supports a radically different approach to weight loss and health, proving that by focusing on food and exercise quality—rather than calorie quantity—you can burn fat and boost health more easily and enjoyably that you ever thought possible.
The human body does not recognize all calories as equal. Some foods are used to repair tissue, boost brain power, and fuel our metabolism—while others are stored as fat. In The Calorie Myth, Bailor shows us how eating more of the right kinds of foods and exercising less, but at a higher intensity, is the true formula for burning fat.
Why? Because eating high-quality foods—like whole plants and nutritious proteins—balances the hormones that regulate our metabolism. When we eat these foods, our bodies naturally maintain a healthy weight. But when we eat sugar, starches, processed fats, and other poor quality foods, the body’s regulatory system becomes "clogged" and prevents us from burning extra calories. Translation: Those extra 10 pounds aren't the result of eating too much . . . they're the result from eating the wrong foods.
In The Calorie Myth, Bailor offers clear, comprehensive guidance on what to eat and why, providing an eating plan, recipes, and a simple yet effective exercise regimen based on the principles of high intensity interval training. Losing weight doesn't have to mean going hungry or spending hours at the gym. The Calorie Myth offers a radical new model for weight loss and long-term health.
- File Size: 2063 KB
- Print Length: 336 pages
- Publisher: HarperWave; 1 edition (December 31, 2013)
- Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00DB3A27E
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8,634 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #33
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition - #49
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Maintenance - #50
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
- #33
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition - #49
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Maintenance - #50
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Weight Loss
I received an advance copy of the book in order to write this review. I'll tell you going in the book advocates a paleo diet and the banishment of grains, oats and other things.
As someone who pretty much follows the Mediterranean Diet, this doesn't appeal to me. But, having said that, I found the book a goldmine of valuable information, most of which I know for a fact is based on science and does indeed work. That is why five stars.
This book is actually the second edition of the popular Smarter Science of Slim.
According to a statement in the front of the book, The Calorie Myth was "Previously published in a different form as The Smarter Science of Slim by Aavia Publishing in 2012."
A reprinted or republished book is one which has been previously published in a different form (e.g. a paperback which was previously published in hardcover) and sometimes by a different publisher.
THE CALORIE MYTH is the simplification and application of more than 1,300 academic studies. The supporting scientific literature and scientific documentation is included to back up what Bailor writes.
While the book has some typos and a few editing errors, the writing is excellent and the ideas and information well presented.
I have a copy of the the first book and some of the content is identical. Having said that, the new book is more professional and the material better laid out than in the 2012 version and if you did not read SSoS, you will benefit from reading the new edition. In addition, if you did read the previous book, you'll benefit from the new edition.
In this book, Bailor provides a five-week plan to burn fat and shed pounds "quickly" and a lifestyle program to improve your health.
Before I get into the review, please know that I never thought I would be writing something like this. I didn't "believe" that what I ate could help heal my body, I completely bought into the calorie model of weight loss, I figured the major heart and diabetes associations knew what they were talking about. If they didn't recommend it, I didn't take it seriously. I had never heard of the insulin theory, and figured I would be morbidly obese until I died young because I didn't have enough "will power" to starve myself and work out all the time.
I began the Calorie Myth/Smarter Science of Slim way of eating 6 months ago.My reason for starting was just to help control my blood sugar, sure I hoped to lose weight but I didn't think it would actually happen. I have lost an even 40 pounds without being hungry at all. I have not counted 1 calorie or macro nutrient. I have only exercised 4 times in those 6 months, which is not recommended, but I was focusing on nutrition first. As I lose more weight, I hope to exercise more, but the fact that I can loose 40 lbs without starving or doing aerobics for hours has been life changing for me.
Even if I had not lost 1 lb. I would continue to eat this way for the following reasons...
#1. EXTREME FATIGUE - Getting out of bed was a chore every morning. I was ready to go back to sleep by noon and was almost in tears many days because fighting through it to stay at work was so difficult. I had to sleep 'til noon on weekends to make up for "only" sleeping 8-9 hours on weekdays. I have been called lazy my whole life. I thought it was sleep apnea. I couldn't imagine how people had a job and kids and hobbies and friends. I wasn't able to function like that at all. Within 2 days of eating this way, that feeling evaporated.
The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better Preview
Link
Please Wait...