Hard As You Can: A Hard Ink Novel Author: Laura Kaye | Language: English | ISBN:
B00DB3A1AC | Format: PDF
Hard As You Can: A Hard Ink Novel Description
A New York Times and USA Today Bestseller!
Ever since hard-bodied, drop-dead-charming Shane McCallan strolled into the dance club where Crystal Dean works, he's shown a knack for getting beneath her defenses. For her little sister's sake, Crystal can't get too close. Until her job and Shane's mission intersect, and he reveals talents that go deeper than she could have guessed.
Shane would never turn his back on a friend in need, especially a former Special Forces teammate running a dangerous, off-the-books operation. Nor can he walk away from Crystal. The gorgeous waitress is hiding secrets she doesn't want him to uncover. Too bad. He's exactly the man she needs to protect her sister, her life, and her heart. All he has to do is convince her that when something feels this good, you hold on as hard as you can--and never let go.
- File Size: 856 KB
- Print Length: 384 pages
- Publisher: Avon (February 25, 2014)
- Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00DB3A1AC
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #487 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #4
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War - #4
in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War - #5
in Books > Romance > Military
- #4
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War - #4
in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War - #5
in Books > Romance > Military
"Complimentary copy provided by author/publisher for an honest review."
Laura Kaye's Hard Ink series is the story of five dishonored soldiers who band together to clear their names from any wrongdoing, never expecting just how complicated the situation would turn out to be. The second book in the series, Hard As You Can, picks up where Hard As It Gets left off, except this time around, protagonists Shane McCallan and Crystal Dean are front and center, showing once again that, even in the midst of danger and chaos, there's always time for a little romance. With Shane and Crystal at the helm, the stakes are higher, with new threats, new enemies and even more unanswered questions.
Hard As You Can delves further into the convoluted mystery that reunited the Hard Ink team, combining the drama and suspense surrounding the mission with the intense romantic connection between Shane and Crystal that is evident from their first meeting. Their physical attraction to each other is immediate, but the emotional aspect of their relationship grows deeper with each encounter. Crystal and Shane are similar characters, each haunted by past actions and living each day with the consequences of their choices. Shane has a savior complex and as much as she tries to be independent, Crystal is desperately in need of his help. I respected both characters' strength and bravery, especially in the face of the horrors they've been subjected to. With all the heartache they've experienced, I couldn't help but root for their happiness.
What makes the Hard Ink series special is the camaraderie between the group of guys (and Becca). Even with the bad blood lingering between them, they are a tight knit, if somewhat unconventional family.
I'm a big fan of Laura Kaye's; Hard As It Gets was one of my most highly-anticipated books of 2013. I adored Nick, and I liked Becca. Two people stole the story for me: Jeremy Rixey (this dude needs a story!) and Shane McCallan. Shane was such a fun addition to the Hard Ink gang. His presence was commanding. So with that, it is no shocker that I was very excited for this book.
Hard As You Can picked up immediately where book one left off. There's a recap of Shane and Crystal's first run-in, then the story takes off from there. The story continues with the Hard Ink gang's efforts to infiltrate the Church organization, and learn how they are connected with Becca and Charlie's father, specifically, his betrayal.
Now, back to Shane...he delivered in this story. So hard. He was still the same smartass, badass, sexy man I was hoping to find in Hard As You Can, and I loved that. I also really liked this book's heroine, Crystal. Her backstory was very brutal, very difficult to imagine enduring. Crystal's love and care for her sister was admirable. I liked that she was smart, biding her time to make the right moves.
All the interactions and dialogue in Hard As You Can was fun. The Hard Ink crew has a fun dynamic that portrays the seriousness of their situation, but also a lot of joking and making fun at one another's expense. That was by far my favorite part of the story.
There were a couple of areas that I struggled with. One, the cast of characters in the story is large. I like the group and the dynamic, but with so many significant characters, I did have a hard time keeping everyone straight. Another thing was the action/terminology. I won't say this is an issue with the book, because I do think it shows Kaye is dedicated to accuracy. It's just me.
Hard As You Can: A Hard Ink Novel Preview
Link
Please Wait...