The Last of Us Limited Edition Strategy Guide Author: BradyGames | Language: English | ISBN:
074401493X | Format: EPUB
The Last of Us Limited Edition Strategy Guide Description
- Hardcover: 256 pages
- Publisher: BRADY GAMES; Pck Ltd edition (June 14, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 074401493X
- ISBN-13: 978-0744014938
- Product Dimensions: 11.1 x 8.7 x 1.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
This guide is great and the keychain that comes with it seems to be very sturdy and well made. The maps at the beginning of each chapter are nicely detailed and relatively easy to determine where on the map your character is. All of the information about hidden collectables/parts/supplements is easy to find in the guide. The collectable info has its own section at the end of the guide that you can easily flip to if you're playing through and just want to make sure that you grab everything as you go. The collectable info is also shown in their respective sections in the guide and, usually, they're easy to make sure you grab as you follow along.
Notice that I said "usually." Because of the way the guide is organized, instead of saying "walk through the door on the left, grab some parts from the office and Artifact #15 from the desk," the guide says "walk through the door on the left and grab some parts from the office" and then an inset says "Artifact #15: Roland's Fence Plan" with details on where to find it. For the most part, this is fine, the artifact's inset catches your eye and you don't miss it. But, I have had more than one occasion where I will be following along with the guide and the guide says "go through the door and listen to the conversation." I go through the door, the door closes behind me, the characters talk, I turn the page in the guide and see "Artifact 32: Something About Survival: 'before you go through the door, make sure you grab this artifact from underneath the table.'" At this point, I need to go back to whenever I manually saved the game last (because, of course, it autosaved when I walked through that door) and work my way through in order to get one piece of paper.
I bought the strategy guide after beating the game -- I wanted something more visual than gamefaqs walkthroughs for collecting every artifact. Plus, I enjoy flipping through game art books and the like, looking at pictures, reading backstory, and in general perusing tips for how to "play better." This guide delivers on those fronts.
I opted for the hardcover edition because I foresee myself playing The Last of Us well into the future and I wanted a guide that would endure a lot of constant use and potential mishaps. Additionally, the keychain is gorgeous: it has a weighty, solid feel and is the sort of thing that'll be jangling on my keys for a long time to come. Being that I love this game, I figured it would be cool to carry my love with me.
All-in-all, the Limited Edition guide seems to be a bargain at only $10 extra if you too really enjoy this game or are buying it for someone who does.
The layout of the guide, as some people mentioned, is occasionally lacking; there are rare occasions where you pass a segment only to read on the next page that you missed an artifact in the previous room. I'm inclined to call this a minor oversight but I'm sure it can drive some people nuts -- myself included. I guess best tip is to read into every section before starting to play, and maintaining a mental map of what items you're looking for and their approximate locations.
The maps are adequately detailed with all the most useful item caches pointed out. This is a great help when trying to collect everything. The guide only points out item locations according to the Hard difficulty setting, but this is fine.
The Last of Us Limited Edition Strategy Guide Preview
Link
Please Wait...